The Q7 is the second offshore wind farm in the Dutch sector of the North Sea and the world’s first to be located at such a distance from the coast (outside of the 12-mile limit). It is, of course, important to study the precise impact of the wind farm on the environment.
- Will it affect living organisms on or in the seabed near the wind turbines?
- Will the number of fish within the area of the wind farm change compared to the area outside?
- How much sound will the turbines generate under water, and how will porpoises react to this noise?
- Under what weather conditions will the wind farm be visible from the shore?
- Will ships comply with the restrictions around the wind farm?
These and other questions will be investigated in an extensive monitoring programme, which will continue during the first five years after the construction of the wind farm.